Fair Work Australia
Australia's new national workplace relations tribunal commences operations on 1 July 2009.
Fair Work Australia assumes most of the functions of the Australian Industrial Relations Commission (AIRC).
The AIRC will continue until 31 December 2009 to complete outstanding matters – in particular the award modernisation process.
An inaugural sitting of Fair Work Australia will be held in Sydney at 9 a.m. on 1 July 2009. The proceedings will be streamed live on the new FWA website at www.fwa.gov.au.
Fair Work Australia also assumes reponsibility for minimum wage fixing from the Australian Fair Pay Commission and the collective agreement approval function of the Workplace Authority.
The tribunal has the power to carry out a range of functions including:
- providing a safety net of minimum conditions, including minimum wages, in awards
- facilitating good faith bargaining and the making of enterprise agreements
- granting remedies for unfair dismissal
- regulating the taking of industrial action
- resolving a range of collective and individual workplace disputes through conciliation, mediation and in some cases arbitration
- functions in connection with workplace determinations, equal remuneration, transfer of business, general workplace protections, right of entry and stand down.